There are only a handful of lodges and camps in Tanzania that offer self-contained family style accommodations suitable for families of 4 persons or more while most properties in Tanzania can only accommodate a maximum of 3 persons per room or tent. Please see further below for a list of specific properties with suitable family style accommodations for families of 4 persons or more.
At properties that can only accommodate a maximum of 3 persons per room or tent, it is our policy to book 2 x twin rooms for a family of 2 adults and 2 children where one parent can sleep with each child. Furthermore, we then put in a request for those 2 x twin rooms to be next to each other (i.e. adjacent). We do our best to communicate clearly and forcefully with the lodge managers so that they honor our adjacent room request but this is ultimately at the discretion of the lodge managers. Similarly for a family 2 adults and 3 children where no family style accommodations exist, it is our policy to book 1 x twin room and 1 x triple room where one parent can sleep in each room and we request the 2 x rooms to be adjacent. We always request adjacent rooms/tents (i.e. rooms next to each other) with each lodge on all family itineraries, but we cannot guaranty such requests as it is ultimately at the discretion of the lodge manager/owner.
Though family style (i.e. quad rooms) are limited in Tanzania, we may be able to design your program completely around family style accommodations if this is your #1 priority. Please contact your safari specialist to discuss all your options.
We do recommend that families bring walkie-talkies to stay in contact during the night as one is not allowed to leave the safety of their tent without being escorted at many properties. Again, please contact your safari specialist to discuss all your options. If it is critical that your family stay in family style lodges and camps for the duration of your safari, you may need to be flexible in your dates and itinerary as specific accommodations may be limited especially in the summertime and holiday periods.
Some properties that do have family style accommodations suitable for a family of 4pax or more include:
- Two bedroom / one bath family tents (perfectly designed for a family of 3 or 4 persons) at Seronera Sametu Camp (Central Serengeti), Ngorongoro Lion's Paw Camp (Ngorongoro Crater), Mara River Leopard Paw's Camp (North Serengeti) and Lake Ndutu Cheetah's Paw Camp (South Serengeti). Each family tent has similar specifications and includes two bedrooms and one bathroom along with a separate small dining and lounge area. More specifically, one room has a king size bed and the other room has two twin beds, which make them ideal for 2 adults and 1 to 2 children. Since there is only one family tent at each of the aforementioned properties, you may need to be flexible in your dates and itinerary especially in the summertime and holiday periods.
- Two bedroom / two bath junior family suites at the Mount Meru Resort located in Arusha Town. These family suites are ideal for 2 adults and 1 to 2 children. They consist of 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. There are two such family suites at the property.
- One bedroom / two bath Terrace Suites at Four Seasons Bilila Lodge (this property can be used as a base to game drive either the Central or North Serengeti). A maximum of 2 extra beds can be added in the separate living area of the Terrace Suite to accommodate a family of 2 adults and 1 to 2 children. The standard Savannah or Horizon level rooms can accommodate a maximum of 3 persons.
- Two bedroom / two bath presidential suites at Mbalageti Tented Lodge (West Serengeti). Each of the two presidential suites is completely self-contained and comes equipped with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, open air bathtub, private dining room, sitting room and an open sided game viewing veranda. One room has a king size bed and the other room has two twin beds. Also, an extra cot can be brought it for an extra person making them ideal for 2 adults with 1 to 3 children.
- Two bedroom / two bath family suite at Serengeti Bush Tops (Jackal Tent #1 and Jackal Tent #2) located in the North Serengeti. This family tent is suitable for 2 adults and 1 to 3 children and consists of two tents linked together by an above ground bridge.
- Two bedroom / two bath family suite at Ngorongoro Crater Lodge. There are 2 cottages on the property that are connected with interleading doors that would be suitable for 2 adults and 1 to 2 children.
- Three bedroom / two bath stable cottage at Ngorongoro Manor Lodge located in between the Crater and Lake Manyara. This large family cottage can accommodate up to 4 adults and 2 children.